Behavior Modification Board & Train
General Boarding Info
Dog Den Chicago only accepts two Board and Train prospects at one time to allocate the most attention and time to each dog in our care. Because of this we recommend reserving a Board and Train spot ahead of when you want your dog to stay with us. The best program for your dog will be determined by the trainer doing your dog’s evaluation.
Dog Den Chicago stands behind their training methods, however, the individual success of you and your dog after leaving their training program depends on your commitment to continue your dog’s training. We cannot make any guarantee for your dog’s success during the training course or after. We encourage all Board and Train participants to join our weekly group class to maintain and further their training. Additional help in the form of Private Lessons is also available.
Behavior Modification Board & Train Details
Behavior Modification Board and Train is intended for dogs with moderate to severe behavioral issues such as reactivity or aggression towards dogs or humans. This is a three week long program designed to reduce or eliminate your dog’s reactivity. Our goal is to make your dog neutral around stimuli that previously they were averse to. We will use obedience skills as well as engagement and focusing exercises to teach your dog the proper way to react to situations that make them uncomfortable and work through their negative responses. Dogs may be required to be muzzle conditioned before or during their Board and Train stay for safety reasons and to give owners a feeling of safety and confidence when they take their dog out. During the last 5 days of your dog’s training program (days 17-21) you are invited to come in daily to work with a trainer on how to maintain your dog’s training when they go home. It is imperative that training is followed as directed once the dog goes home to maintain and expand on the training progress the dog has made while at Dog Den Chicago.
Dogs in this program will receive ample one-on-one time with trainers and staff outside of training for play time and snuggles. Dog and/or human reactive dogs will not be allowed in our play group.
Before your dog goes home, they will receive a bath courtesy of our bather. In addition, after graduating from Basic Board and Train, your dog has a free Group Class pass to use for three months. These weekly classes are an excellent opportunity to meet with trainers who are very familiar with your dog to ask any questions and proof your technique.
Length of Stay
Your dog will stay at Dog Den for the entire 14 days.
What is Included
- Training collar
- Exit Bath
- 5 transfer lessons while your dog is currently in our Board & Train program
- 4 private lessons once your dog has completed our Board & Train program
- 3 months of Group Classes (weather permitted)
6 months old and older
What to Bring For Your Dog’s Stay
- Food: Enough food for your dog’s entire stay in a reusable bag (zip locks, plastic bag, etc.)
- No large containers, unopened bags or new bags of food unless it is the amount needed
- If you do not supply food there will be an additional charge of $4 per day.
- Medication: If your dog needs medication, we require detailed written instructions with your dogs name, description of medicine, and the correct dosage on a separate sheet of paper, not just on the bottle. For example: Fido, Aqpouel a white pill, once a day in the morning, 16mg.
Please note: our staff members are not trained veterinary technicians and therefore we have limitations for caring for dogs with medical needs.
- Dogs must be cooperative when taking medication (i.e. will easly take their medicine with food, pill pocket, hot dog, etc.) to ensure they receive their medication.
- If dogs need medicine more than 2 times per day, recommended that the client should board their dog at a vet’s office.
- NO INJECTIONS
- Belongings: You are welcome to bring one toy or blanket from home, but we cannot guarantee the objects will be returned in the same condition when the dog goes home. One blanket and one toy maximum. Personal items are not required.
- Completed Registration and training evaluation.
- Intact females are welcomed, however not during a heat cycle or for 2 weeks before or after their heat cycle. If your dog goes into heat during their board and train program, you will be contacted and asked to pick up your dog immediately.
- Fleas and ticks can spread easily. We recommend having your dog on flea and tick prevention as recommended by your veterinarian.
- Flat Collar: Your dog must wear a properly fitting flat, Martingale or slip style collar. If your dog normally wears a harness, please provide a proper collar for your dog to wear throughout their stay. During your dog’s Board and Train program we will properly fit them for their training collar.
Deposit and Payment:
We require a nonrefundable deposit of 30%. The remaining balance will be divided into two payments: half of the balance on day-one (drop off), and the remaining balance on the last day of Board & Train (pick up).
Currently we do not have a cancellation policy for all Board and Train programs. Deposits are nonrefundable and nontransferable to another service.