Behavior Modification Board & Train
General Boarding Info
Dog Den Chicago only accepts two Board and Train prospects at one time to allocate the most attention and time to each dog in our care. Because of this we recommend reserving a Board and Train spot early in the month or a month ahead of when you want your dog to stay with us. For each program a 20% deposit is required to hold a reservation. This deposit is non-refundable and contributes to the final payment of the Board and Train program. The best program for your dog will be determined by the trainer doing your dog’s evaluation.
Please note, your dog’s first day of Board and Train is the day they are dropped off. We recommend that they are dropped off early in the morning so that they can become acclimated to the facility and trainers can begin working with your dog right away. Dog Den Chicago stands behind their training methods, however, the individual success of you and your dog after leaving their training program depends on your commitment to continue your dog’s training. We cannot make any guarantee for your dog’s success during the training course or after. We encourage all Board and Train participants to join our weekly group class to maintain and further their training. Additional help in the form of Private Lessons is also available at a discounted rate for Board and Train graduates.
Behavior Modification Board & Train Details
Behavior Modification Board and Train is intended for dogs with moderate to severe behavioral issues such as reactivity or aggression towards dogs or humans. This is a three week long program designed to reduce or eliminate your dog’s reactivity. Our goal is to make your dog neutral around stimuli that previously they were averse to. We will use obedience skills as well as engagement and focusing exercises to teach your dog the proper way to react to situations that make them uncomfortable and work through their negative responses. Dogs may be required to be muzzle conditioned before or during their Board and Train stay for safety reasons and to give owners a feeling of safety and confidence when they take their dog out. During the last 7 days of your dog’s training program (days 15-21) you are invited to come in daily to work with a trainer on how to maintain your dog’s training when they go home. It is imperative that training is followed as directed once the dog goes home to maintain and expand on the training progress the dog has made while at Dog Den Chicago.
Dogs in this program will receive ample one-on-one time with trainers and staff outside of training for play time and snuggles. Dog and/or human reactive dogs will not be allowed in our play group.
Before your dog goes home, they will receive a bath courtesy of our bather. In addition, after graduating from Basic Board and Train, your dog has a free Group Class pass to use for three months. These weekly classes are an excellent opportunity to meet with trainers who are very familiar with your dog to ask any questions and proof your technique.
What to Bring
Food: Switching food can cause upset stomachs. Please provide enough food for your dog’s entire stay in reusable bags (zip locks, jewel bags, etc.) Please do not bring food in large containers or brand new bags of food unless it is the full amount needed.
- If you do not supply food there will be an additional charge of $2 per day.
Medication: We are happy to administer medications or supplements. If your dog needs medication, it is mandatory to make a staff member aware of your dogs medical needs and have detailed written instructions with the name, description of medicine, and the correct dosage on a separate sheet of paper, not just on the bottle. For example: Aqpouel a white pill, once a day in the morning, 16mg.
Belongings: You are welcome to bring a toy or blankets from home, but we cannot guarantee they will be in the same condition when you return. Blankets will be supplied if not brought from home with owner's approval. Please limit your dogs to a maximum of one blanket, and one toy. Personal items are not required. We happily supply blankets to dogs that don’t have them.
- All dogs must be a minimum of 5 months old and up to date on their Distemper, Parvo, Bordetella, and Rabies vaccines. Participants must remain current during their entire stay. Dogs who do not have all of their vaccines will not be accepted for Board and Train.
- Intact females are welcomed, however not during a heat cycle or for 2 weeks before or after. Male dogs, even unneutered, can become possessive over a female in heat. Before returning to daycare, females should receive a bath once their heat cycle has finished to wash anyway any lingering smells. If your dog goes into heat during their board and train program, you will be contacted and asked to pick up your female immediately.
- Fleas can spread easily. We recommend having your dogs on flea and tick prevention as recommended by your veterinarian.
- Dogs must wear a properly fitting flat, martingale or slip style collar. If your dog normally wears a harness, please bring a collar for them to wear throughout their stay.
- To reserve your spot, we require a deposit of 20%. The remaining amount will be divided in two payments, half one day-one (drop off), and half on the last day of Board & Train (pick up).
- If your dog requires an ecollar and/or a muzzle, the appropriate price for either tool will be added to the remaining balance to be paid at pick up.
- 21 full days of training
- 5 Lessons
- 3 months of Group Classes (weather permitted)
- Training collar
- Exit Bath